Breast Lift by Houston Cosmetic Surgeon
For patients considering a breast lift procedure, a general understanding of how these cosmetic surgeries work can provide added confidence and increased peace of mind. Because every woman is different, every Houston breast lift procedure is customized to suit the patient’s precise needs. Here are six of the most important facts about this popular Houston cosmetic surgery.
What Is a Breast Lift?
A breast lift, also known as a mastopexy, is a surgical procedure that removes excess skin, repositions tissues and restores the youthful and firm appearance of the breasts. Some patients may combine Houston breast augmentation procedures with the breast lift surgery to increase the fullness and size of the breasts. This is especially helpful for women whose breasts have become smaller after pregnancy, nursing, and the force of gravity that takes a toll on a woman’s breasts. As the skin loses its elasticity, the breasts often lose their shape and firmness and begin to sag.
Breast Lift Candidates
As with any medical procedure, your Houston cosmetic surgeon will ask a number of questions about your habits and your general state of health to determine if you are a good candidate for breast lift surgery. Some of the most common questions include the following:
- Are you in good health and maintaining a stable weight?
- Do you smoke?
- Are you concerned about the shape and look of your breasts?
- Are your nipples and areolas sagging or pointing downward?
- Is there significant disparity between the positions of your breasts?
Your answers to these questions, along with a physical examination, will typically determine if you are a good candidate for the procedure. If you are considering a Houston face lift, you may wish to ask your surgeon if the two procedures can be combined. This can potentially save you hundreds of dollars on anesthesia and facility fees.
The Breast Lift Procedure
Once you have been cleared for your surgery, you can expect to undergo the following steps during your breast lift procedure:
- You will usually be sedated for the procedure; this may entail general anesthetics or IV sedation methods.
- Your surgeon will discuss the precise location of the incisions and any potential scarring with you beforehand. Depending on your desired results, the incisions may encircle your areola and move downward and to each side of your breasts.
- The tissues that support your breasts will be lifted and reshaped to create a new contour and a more natural position for your nipples. If your areola is enlarged, your surgeon may reduce its size to enhance the look of your breasts. Any excess skin will be removed to tighten and lift your breasts naturally.
- Your surgeon will then close the incisions using sutures, surgical adhesives or tape.
Once your procedure is complete, you will be able to see the results right away.
Recovery from a Breast Lift
Your surgeon will apply dressings over your incisions that must remain in place for one or two days after your procedure. You will also need to wear a bandage or support bra designed to hold your breasts in position during the healing process. Most Houston cosmetic surgery specialists recommend that you avoid heavy lifting for at least four to six weeks after your breast lift. You may also require pain medication for the first week. If stitches or sutures were used to close your incisions, these will be removed within two to three weeks after your procedure is complete.
Breast Lift Results
The immediate results of your surgery will typically be visible as soon as the dressings come off your incision. Over time, scars will fade and the tissue will settle into its permanent position. Significant weight gain can sometimes affect the shape and contours of your breasts. This procedure can rejuvenate your body with a new breast profile that looks younger. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle can help you look your best and can prevent negative changes to the appearance of your breasts over time.
The Breast Lift Consultation
During your first appointment, your surgeon will discuss your expectations and the likely results of your Houston breast lift procedure. In most cases, you will determine your course of treatment together. If you have any existing health concerns, your doctor will take these issues into consideration when planning the type of anesthesia and the timing for your planned surgery.
Dr. Capriotti is the best source of information regarding your upcoming procedure. By working closely with this knowledgeable professional and asking questions as they arise, you can ensure that you achieve the most beautiful results and that you enjoy a real boost to your self-esteem and appearance from your breast lift procedure. Please be sure to ask our Houston breast surgeon Dr. Capriotti, if there is anything about the procedure you do not understand.