If you hate how your belly looks because of extra skin and separated muscles, your Houston cosmetic surgeon can help. Tummy tucks, also known as abdominoplasty, can remove that extra skin to help you get a flatter, more toned look for your stomach. In this article, we’ll discuss some key things to know before getting a tummy tuck.
When Your Houston Cosmetic Surgeon May Recommend a Tummy Tuck
A tummy tuck is a type of Houston cosmetic surgery that removes excess skin from your abdominal area. It’s incredibly common after significant weight loss or pregnancy, where you don’t have a lot of fat in the area, but there’s loose skin that hangs and protrudes. It’s a great way to feel more confident about your stomach area and look better in many types of clothes.
Who’s a Good Candidate?
Abdominoplasty isn’t right for everyone, so it’s important to talk to your Houston cosmetic surgeon about whether you’re a good candidate. Here are some signs you might be a good candidate for a tummy tuck:
- You have extra skin in your abdomen between the belly button and pubic bone
- You’re at a healthy weight
- You’ve maintained the same weight for at least six months
- You’re in good general health
- You don’t smoke
- You don’t have chronic health conditions like heart disease or diabetes
- Your expectations are realistic regarding tummy tuck results
- You don’t plan on losing significantly more weight
- You don’t plan to become pregnant after surgery
- Your BMI is under 30
During a consultation is when your Houston cosmetic surgeon can discuss the surgery based on your personal circumstances and determine if you’re a good candidate for the procedure.
Important Things to Know About this Houston Cosmetic Surgery
Before getting a tummy tuck procedure, there are many important things to know. For instance, there are several different types of tummy tuck procedures:
- Full: This involves an incision that extends from hip to hip and removes extra skin under the belly button.
- Extended: The incision for this tummy tuck extends to the sides of the lower back and removes excess skin under the belly button and on the sides of your abdomen.
- Fleur de Lis: This type of tummy tuck allows your Houston cosmetic surgeon to tighten the skin both horizontally and vertically.
- Mini: Mini tummy tuck involves an incision between the hip bones and helps if you have mild or moderate loose skin just under your belly button.
In addition, it’s important to understand that the recovery period will take several weeks. In general, you can expect your recovery period to last about four to six weeks.
For the first week or two, you will have surgical drains at the incision site. Most people can return to work in two to four weeks unless their jobs are very physical. You’ll also need to avoid strenuous activity for six weeks or more. Your Houston cosmetic surgeon can discuss recovery periods and post-op instructions during your consultation based on your individual situation.
Also, remember that tummy tucks don’t do anything about excess fat. If you have stubborn fat after diet and exercise, you may need liposuction. If you’re looking for weight loss, then you need to talk to your doctor about weight loss strategies or potentially weight loss surgery. Tummy tucks only help with extra skin in your stomach area.
Top Houston Cosmetic Surgeon – Dr. Capriotti
If you’re considering cosmetic surgery, choose Capriotti Cosmetic & Laser Surgery. Dr. Capriotti is a well-known cosmetic surgeon and provides quality care for all your cosmetic surgery needs. Whether you are looking for a tummy tuck, a Houston breast lift, or a mommy makeover, we are here for you. Get in touch today to schedule your consultation with our team.