If you’re unhappy with the overall look of your nose, then you might consider a rhinoplasty, also commonly known as a “nose job.” This is a type of Houston cosmetic surgery that can enhance the appearance of your nose. It is one of the most common types of cosmetic surgery on the face and hundreds of thousands of people get rhinoplasty every year. However, you might be wondering what to expect from this procedure and what kinds of things it can do for your appearance. We’ll explore this in our blog, so read on!
Houston Cosmetic Surgery: What to Expect from Rhinoplasty
As with any Houston cosmetic surgery procedure, there are many things to consider before you get rhinoplasty. Your surgeon will be a great resource for all your questions during a consultation, including results you can expect and what the recovery will look like. The consultation allows our Houston cosmetic surgeon to discuss important information based on your specific circumstances.
In general, cosmetic rhinoplasty is a procedure that changes the bone, cartilage, and/or skin to improve the look of your nose. There are many different ways the surgeon can do this, including through internal incisions and through external incisions on the outside of the nose. Most rhinoplasty procedures are performed under either general anesthesia or a local anesthesia plus IV sedation so you might feel groggy but stay awake. This all depends on the type of rhinoplasty you need and your medical history.
Recovery varies for each person. However, generally you should plan to take one week off from work. During this time, you will wear a cast over the nose and will likely be dealing with drainage from the nose. You might also have some swelling and bruising in the face after surgery that typically goes away within a week or two. Swelling in the nose after rhinoplasty can last a few months, but is usually significantly less noticeable in just a few weeks.
What Does a “Nose Job” Correct?
So, what exactly can rhinoplasty correct about your nose? There are actually many ways this Houston cosmetic surgery procedure can enhance the look of your nose. Here are some of the common nose complaints that rhinoplasty may address:
- Straightening a Crooked Nose: If the bridge of your nose is crooked due to genetics or injury, a nose job can straighten it out.
- Increase or Reduce Tip Projection: If the tip of your nose sticks out too much or doesn’t stick out enough, surgery can also correct this. For a tip that sticks out too much, the surgeon may remove some of the cartilage from the tip of the nose. If you want a more prominent tip, then we may recommend augmentation with nasal implants.
- Reduce a Bulbous Nose Tip: If the tip of your nose is larger and more rounded than you would like (also sometimes known as “bulbous”), then rhinoplasty can reduce the size of the tip to be more proportional.
- Correcting Asymmetry: Noses can be asymmetrical, particularly near the tip and nostrils. If your nose is asymmetrical, Houston cosmetic surgery can improve symmetry for your nose and face.
- Reduce the Length or Width of the Nose: If you feel like your nose is too long or too wide, then rhinoplasty can reduce the length and/or width of the nose as well.
- Reducing Nasal Bumps: Nasal bumps in the bridge of the nose are a common reason to get rhinoplasty. With a nose job, the Houston cosmetic surgeon can reduce the hump to provide a straighter appearance from the profile.
Top Houston Cosmetic Surgeon at Capriotti Cosmetic & Laser Surgery
If you’re considering cosmetic surgery, choose our team at Capriotti Cosmetic & Laser Surgery. Our board-certified cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Capriotti, offers decades of experience performing a variety of cosmetic procedures, from rhinoplasty to Houston face lifts. We provide quality care for all your cosmetic surgery needs. Get in touch now to schedule a consultation for your procedure!