Vascular lesions can affect appearance and self-confidence for some individuals. These visible skin malformations can be congenital or acquired as a result of injuries or medical conditions. In many cases, patients can receive expert treatment for vascular lesions at a Houston cosmetic surgery provider. Here are some of the most important facts about diagnosis and treatment for vascular lesions.
What Are Vascular Lesions?
Vascular lesions are growths or malformations of blood vessels that occur on the surface of the skin. Port-wine stains, pyogenic granulomas and spider angiomas are among the most common types of vascular lesions. Congenital vascular lesions are caused by malformations of the blood vessels during fetal development. Acquired lesions can occur as a result of serious medical conditions, including toxic shock syndrome, scarlet fever and severe reactions to certain drugs or viral infections.
Treatments for Vascular Lesions
Your Houston cosmetic surgeon can provide you with a range of options for treating vascular lesions. Your treatment plan will depend on a few factors:
- The type of vascular lesion
- Where the vascular lesion is located on the body
- The pigment of your skin
- The depth of the vascular lesion under the skin
While surgery may sometimes be performed to remove enlarged or malformed blood vessels, laser treatments are generally the most popular treatment for these conditions. Medical researchers have developed a number of different techniques that can produce outstanding results for most patients.
- Pulsed dye lasers are the treatment method of choice for most vascular lesions of the port wine stain variety. These advanced laser treatments apply light in short bursts at specific wavelengths to break down the malformation and to reduce the appearance of these skin conditions. Most experts recommend the use of wavelengths in the 600 to 700-nm range to achieve the best results for port wine stains.
- Intense pulsed light (IPL) lasers are also used to treat vascular lesions to include facial telangiectasia, which are better known as broken blood vessels around the nose and cheeks. This can reduce the appearance of these conditions and enhance the confidence and self-esteem of patients who undergo these treatments.
By working with a qualified Houston cosmetic surgeon, you can ensure the most effective treatments for vascular lesions and other minor imperfections of the skin.
At Capriotti Cosmetic and Laser Surgery, we specialize in providing you with the right services to enhance your appearance and boost your self-confidence. Whether you need a Houston face lift, tummy tuck or treatments for scars or vascular lesions, we can provide you with the most effective options for your specific set of needs. Call us today at 713-674-7201 to set up a consultation with us. We look forward to the opportunity to help you look your best.