Tap To Call
Notice: Dr. Capriotti has retired.

Why Social Media Sites Are a Bad Source for Information on Cosmetic Surgery Procedures

Social media sites allow people to stay in contact with friends and family and can serve as a valuable source of information about products and services. These websites can sometimes be sources of misinformation, however, that could present real risks to you and your family members. If you are considering a Houston breast lift or other cosmetic procedure, contacting a professional with real credentials in this field of medicine can be a solid first step toward obtaining accurate and up-to-date information about these treatments and how they can help you look and feel your best. Here are some of the most important drawbacks that can result from obtaining cosmetic surgery advice from social media websites.

Marketing a Primary Motivation

Some of the information available through social media sites and video presentations can be attributed to marketing agents seeking to promote specific surgeons, products or techniques that may or may not be well-suited to your needs. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons recently reported that half of all cosmetic surgeons responding to a recent survey indicated that social media was a cheap and convenient way for them to advertise their services. Therefore, it may be wise to take the claims presented in these social media posts and videos with a grain of salt.

Unqualified Opinions

According to a recent study published in the Aesthetic Surgery Journal, only 18 percent of all Instagram posts related to cosmetic surgery were made by qualified and board-certified cosmetic surgeons. The remaining 82 percent of posts were made by salons, aesthetic technicians, dentists, physicians outside the cosmetic surgery field and even barbers with no technical training in cosmetic procedures at all. Making sure that you ask a qualified cosmetic surgeon about your Houston face lift, Houston breast lift, or other procedure can ensure that you receive the most accurate and reliable information about these treatment plans.

Failure to Provide In-Depth Information

Another shortcoming of videos and information provided on social media sites like Instagram, Facebook and YouTube is the superficial way in which many of these posts and videos address cosmetic surgery. A study conducted by Rutgers University and involving almost 250 top-ranked cosmetic surgery videos on YouTube found that these videos provided minimal information for patients considering these procedures. Instead, the videos typically served more as marketing tools for the physicians who performed the procedures rather than as a valid source of information for potential patients. Your Houston cosmetic surgeon is usually the best source of information for you and your family members.

At Capriotti Cosmetic and Laser Surgery, we take the time to explain our available procedures to ensure that you understand all aspects of your treatment plan. We work with our patients to provide the right options and the most complete information about a Houston breast lift or the cosmetic procedures we offer. Call us today at 713-674-7201 to schedule a consultation with us. We are here to help you look and feel your best every day.

This entry was posted in Houston Cosmetic Surgery and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.