An elegant and lovely neck can enhance beauty and increase self-confidence. Unfortunately, the neck and throat are among the areas most impacted by changes in weight or the effects of age. Working with a physician who specializes in Houston cosmetic surgery can provide patients with options to restore the contours of their neck and throat to create a more youthful and attractive appearance. Neck contouring surgery can enhance self-esteem and provide a greater sense of confidence. Here are the facts you should know when considering these surgical procedures.
Benefits of Neck Contouring Surgery
Patients typically opt for neck contouring procedures to combat a variety of issues that may include some or all of the following:
- Excess skin in the neck and throat area
- Wrinkles or creases under the chin and on the neck
- Double chins or excess fat around the chin
- Improving the appearance of receding or weak chins
Neck contouring can resolve many of these issues and can provide a more youthful appearance and an improved profile for those who undergo these medical procedures.
Customized Procedures for Houston Patients
The techniques used to achieve neck contouring depend on the patient’s desired results. Some of the most commonly used procedures for this cosmetic surgery include the following:
- Liposuction can be used to remove excess fat around the chin or neck area to restore a youthful shape to this part of the body. These surgeries generally require only local anesthesia and can be performed using small incisions to speed the recovery process and to achieve the best possible results.
- Neck lift surgeries are used to remove excess skin and to tighten muscles, allowing the neck and throat to regain its smooth and firm appearance. These surgical procedures are usually performed under sedation or general anesthesia and require small incisions behind the ears and under the chin. Houston face lift patients can often consolidate recovery times by scheduling a neck lift in conjunction with other cosmetic procedures.
- Chin augmentation procedures change the shape of the jawline and chin to balance the face. Houston cosmetic surgeons will work with patients to design and create a custom implant to enhance the shape of the chin. These surgeries can also enhance the shape and appearance of the neck to provide a more youthful look for patients.
Understanding these procedures can help you to make the most appropriate choices when planning your neck contouring surgery.
What to Expect After Your Procedure
Depending on the type of neck contouring procedure you select, your recovery period may last from two weeks to a few months after the surgery:
- Neck liposuction patients usually wear a chin strap for three to four days after the procedure. You can expect to be cleared for work in about a week; it may take up to two weeks for bruising and swelling to subside.
- You will usually be cleared to go back to work two weeks after your neck lift surgery. Swelling, bruising and tightness may continue for a few months after these procedures.
- Chin implants typically cause swelling for about seven days; applying ice compresses to the area and taking over-the-counter pain medications may help with the recovery process. Patients can generally return to their normal activities within two weeks of the surgery; if your chin implant requires an incision inside your lip, however, you may be restricted to a soft food diet for the first 10 days after your procedure.
Your Houston cosmetic surgeon can provide detailed information about what to expect before, during and after your neck contouring procedure.
Working with an established cosmetic surgeon can provide you with the most accurate information regarding your neck contouring options. By consulting with these medical experts to create a plan for your desired cosmetic enhancements, you can enjoy a greater degree of self-confidence in all your professional and personal interactions.